Thank you to Varun, who always, though reluctantly, poses for all my shoots 🙂
Madhu Maam posing for my poster shoot!
As seen by my cell phone camera.
This is the final poster that I put up for my graduation show. The poster talks about the core essence of the project’s intent and subtly directs one to notice the solution as well. I should be able to post a better image soon.
The project has reached a conclusive phase and I, finally graduated.
So what really happened to the project. Within the constraints of 4 and a half months, I managed to do a thorough research, find a valid problem, design a brief, understand information design and architecture – apply it to the context of my project, work on the intricacies of the sensitieve content and develop the content in a manner that would be socially viable, struggled to design a user experience and ultimately came out with one single draft of the user interface.
Having put in so much work, a single draft sometimes seems disappointing, but the journey was remarkable. The fact is that I was fortunate enough to have gotten the opportunity to do such a project and learn so much from it. This one project has introduced me to so many new skills that I want to further explore and hopefully, someday master.
The communication strategy I designed for the product includes a Campaign, a Wep Portal and a Mobile Application.
I have however, only worked on the website as of now. Here are a few screens of the interface.
1. Home Page
2. Ask A Question Page – A User may, at any given point, ask a question that will be answered by other users and monitored by a panel of subject experts.
3. Main Information Page – Once a User clicks on any one of the flash cards on the home page, he would be directed to a page like such, that holds the required information and directs him to more resources for a better, more detailed understanding.
4. Links & Resources Page – The User, from the main information page, can navigate to this page, where he is offered a variety of links, resources and related content for him to get a better understanding.
Documenting the project for my final evaluation; and strangely, even after having gone through all my old notes, I can’t remember anything.
18 – 23rd April 2013 : Day 79-84
Working with so many quiz formats as my method to impart information, I began to really evaluate the idea again. What I found was this:
1. The act of acquiring information for the user, could seem gimmick-like at some point.
2. The fact that all the questions are mostly, seemingly testing one’s knowledge about a particular topic, could be intimidating for a first time or less aware user.
3. Quizzing could become competitive and one may just focus on answering correctly and lose interest in the information itself.
4. I explored various forms of questions and answers, put them all together in a format to see how well they work as a unit. The questions seemed flat and there was no particular engaging factor in the format.
5. The format lacked the natural quality to bind all forms of questions together. The format, hence, never fell in place.
How can I have all these different questions in a format that best suits them? Is quiz the right way to go? I tackled a lot of questions, I re-evaluated my intent and almost 3 weeks before my deadline, I decided to let go of my previous interface and start wireframing a new one.
Designing a new experience.
The new wireframe & I, sought out to bring all the different forms of questions, advice and information together on a single, most appropriate format.
This new concept explicitly deals with one’s need to get an answer to ‘a particular question’. I imagine the user to be conscious of the importance of a dialogue about sexuality education. They have accessed our website to get a particular answer or just to get an idea of what all could be the possible questions that they might have to face – basically our user is aware of the intent of the product, which is to tell him how to answer a question.
Now, to do this, the content had to structured in a manner different from the previous iteration. This time, it was divided into four forms of information:
1. Question/Answers (topics & their explanations) – That an adolescent must be aware of at his/her age.
2. Question/Answers (topics & their explanations) – That an adolescent may just happen to ask because he saw something on the TV, etc.
3. Myths & Facts
4. Tips & Advice on how to carry forward a conversation that may turn awkward.
The information required parallel categorization. There was age, topic and gender, besides the four types of information categories. Keeping all this in mind, I started working on the wireframes. Spending an idle day with no work to show for, I gave the wireframes a pause and put down the storyboard (i had in my head) on paper. This exercise really helped me to be conscious of all the thoughts I had stuffed inside my brain. I could channelize them much better, this time around.
Some more things that were added to the storyboard were a portal where one could ask his/her own question. This, I believe is a very important aspect of this project.
This new approach, as I envision it to be, is very hands on. The user controls his/her navigation, content categorization and at point, flow. The interface is seamless and one can jump from one piece of information to the other as per the category filters they choose. It equips the users with the answers they want, while at the same time, providing an opportunity to explore through questions that they never thought of.
Next up…the new & improved wireframes!!